Senior Systems Engineer
Wellspring is the leading provider of software tools to manage R&D and technology commercialization. Our suite of web-based software manages the transformation of scientific discoveries into real world products. We work with clients to accelerate the pace of innovation at premier research universities, R&D groups at Fortune 500 companies, and leading medical institutions. Wellspring also operates Flintbox®, the largest online marketplace for inventions emerging from research labs around the world.
Wellspring offers a dynamic work environment located in the River North neighborhood of Chicago. We are a rapidly growing software firm with significant opportunities for career advancement.
We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer that will work with the IT Operations team across all departments to maintain and improve our SaaS platform and ensure compliance with corporate security policies and procedures. Reporting directly to our IT Operations Manager, this is an exciting growth opportunity for a self-starting and resourceful professional.
- Tackle long-term growth projects to scale and support our IT infrastructure
- Expand the reach of our automation where appropriate
- Maintenance of configuration management and CI pipelines
- Response, resolution, and root cause analysis of service issues and system alerts
- Provide end-user support, technical onboarding and offboarding
- Administer networks, hosts, workstations, and key applications
- Implement software and hardware solutions to improve IT operations
- Maintain office IT infrastructure including laptops, printers, WiFi, and VoIP
- Create and maintain technical procedures and documentation
- Comply with and enforce IT standard operating procedures and security policies across all
- Strong understanding of web frameworks, both microservices and monolithic, and the ability to administer/troubleshoot them in a production Linux environment
- Strong ability to program with Python, Bash, or other scripting language
- Experience working with and contributing to a Configuration Management suite such as Puppet
- Experience creating and administrating hypervisor based hosting such as AWS
- Experience administering and configuring users, groups, roles, and access policies
- Understanding of common network protocols such as DHCP, DNS, HTTP, SFTP, SMTP
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 7-10 years experience as a Systems Engineer, DevOps Engineer, SRE, or similar role
- Experience with AWS cloud hosting and automation
- Experience with Puppet configuration management, automation, and testing
- Experience administering CentOS environments
- Experience with virtualization and containerization
- Experience with software development lifecycles and automated testing
- Experience with information security: federal computing standards, auditing, and pen testing
We invite qualified applicants to send a resume and brief introduction to email@example.com.
Wellspring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.